Lexican uses the small-group, learning-by-doing, case method.
- Form a learning group of up to 8 lawyers.
- Choose a Lexican case file for the group: medmal, mva, creditor’s rights and more. Or we’ll custom design a file based on one of your own cases.
- Choose a skill you want to improve, such as discovery, motion practice, cross-examination of an expert, or closing argument at trial.
- Study the case file at a pre-hearing teleconference strategy session with your coach. Files are based on actual cases, with pleadings, transcripts and a variety of exhibits.
- Perform the skill at a simulated hearing in your office and receive on-the-spot expert coaching. A qualified actor plays the witness. Your performance is video recorded.
- Review your performance one-on-one with your coach at a post-hearing video review teleconference.
- Workshops are presented as half-day modules with each module focusing on one skill. Combine several modules for an extended and enriched learning experience.
All professional services are provided by Joel B. Kohm B.Sc. LL.B., member of the bars of Ontario and BC. Joel is an accredited CPD provider with courses approved by the Law Society of British Columbia and the Law Society of Upper Canada. With 35 years of litigation experience, Joel has acted as lead counsel in a wide range of trials and appeals. He is a former CLE Director of the Law Society of Upper Canada, and recipient of the Ontario Advocates’ Society Excellence in Teaching Award. Joel has designed and led over one thousand skills workshops across Canada for law firms, government departments, bar associations and law societies. He is a former member of the visiting faculty at the Emory Law School Trial Techniques Program in Atlanta, GA and instructor in Advanced Legal Process and Expert Evidence at the University of Toronto DIFA Program (Diploma in Investigative & Forensic Accounting). Joel has presented to ATLA (now AAJ), OTLA, Insight, the NY Bar Association and many other organizations.
A very good course, a good instructor – useful and relevant.
Instant commentary on specific issues; it gives me specific points to work on.